Dr. Cozier is an investigator on the Black Women’s Health Study (BWHS) and the BWHS Sarcoidosis Study at the Slone Epidemiology Center. Her research interests include social and genetic determinants of health in African-American women -- specifically, the influence of psychosocial stressors (e.g., racism, neighborhood socioeconomic status), and genetics in the development of cancer, cardiometabolic, and immune-mediated diseases (sarcoidosis, lupus). Additional research interests include oral health, and the role that religiosity/spirituality and the faith community, particularly the black church, plays in health promotion/disease prevention in the Black community.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Accessibility
• Co-Investigator, Black Women’s Health Study (2004-present)
• Designed and teach Social Epidemiology (SPH EP775) (2008-present)
• Chair of the BUSPH Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ) committee.
• Liaise with the Medical Campus Associate Deans and Directors of Diversity and Inclusion.
• Conduct DEIJ trainings for SPH search committees.
• Hold quarterly “Coffee Chats” for students, faculty, staff and postdoctoral associates.
• Sponsor SPH Reads, the School of Public Health’s one-school, one-book program. Since 2016, the program has hosted authors on campus and integrated selected books into the
SPH/MPH Core curriculum.
• Serve as Co-sponsor (with the Associate Provost for Community and Inclusion) for the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) pillar of the University Strategic Plan. In this role, I helped to
create HUB SJ 101: Social Justice Systems, a new undergraduate Hub course on social and racial justice, scheduled to will launch in Fall 2022.
• I serve on the university-wide Recruitment Committee organized through the BU Office of Diversity and Inclusion (ODI).
• Serve as faculty advisor/mentor to the Students of Color for Public Health student group.
• Co-chair the Anti-racism Committee in the Department of Epidemiology.
• Complete biennial BU mandatory online Title IX training.
• Moderate sessions on diversity and inclusion during the annual BUSPG All-school retreat.
• Past Chair of the Boston University Faculty Council Equity and Inclusion Committee.
• Past Chair of the Boston University Faculty Assembly Nominating Committee.
External DEI activities include:
• Member of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health COVID-19 Health Equity Advisory Group. Social Determinants of Health Working Group (2020-2021).
• Co-chair and co-teach a Society of Epidemiology Research (SER) pre-conference workshop on “Inclusive Teaching in Epidemiology” (2020-present).
• Foundation for Sarcoidosis Research (FSR), Women of Color (WOC) Clinical Advisory Committee (2020-present).
Boston University School of Public Health
Evans Center for Interdisciplinary Biomedical Research
A Follow-up Study for Causes of Cancer in Black Women
09/01/2022 - 08/31/2027 (Multi-PI)
PI: Yvette C Cozier, DScNIH/National Cancer Institute
Risk factors for Parkinson’s disease among participants in the Black Women’s Health Study
12/01/2021 - 11/30/2024 (Subcontract PI)President and Fellows of Harvard College dba Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health Michael J. Fox Fdn
COVID-19 infection, African American women, and cardiovascular health
06/01/2020 - 03/31/2022 (Subcontract PI)The Regents of the University of California, San Francisco American Heart Assoc
Psychosocial stressors in relation to oral health in African American Women
09/01/2017 - 08/31/2020 (PI)NIH/National Institute of Dental & Craniofacial Research5R03DE026841-02
Prevention of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Women: Bladder Health Scientific and Data Coordinating Center
07/01/2017 - 06/30/2019 (Subcontract PI)Regents of the University of Minnesota NIH NIDDK5U01DK106786-04
Sarcoidosis in US Black Women: Genetic and Non-Genetic Risk Factors
05/01/2008 - 05/31/2013 (PI)NIH/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute5K01HL088709-05
Publications listed below are automatically derived from MEDLINE/PubMed and other
sources, which might result in incorrect or missing publications. Faculty can
to make corrections and additions.
Showing 10 of 100 results.
Palmer JR, Cozier YC, Rosenberg L. Research on health disparities: Strategies and findings from the Black Women's Health Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2022 Feb 05.View Related Profiles. PMID: 35136921
Barber LE, Zirpoli GR, Cozier YC, Rosenberg L, Petrick JL, Bertrand KA, Palmer JR. Neighborhood disadvantage and individual-level life stressors in relation to breast cancer incidence in US Black women. Breast Cancer Res. 2021 11 22; 23(1):108.View Related Profiles. PMID: 34809694; PMCID: PMC8609879; DOI: 10.1186/s13058-021-01483-y;
Shields AE, Zhang Y, Argentieri MA, Warner ET, Cozier YC, Liu C, Dye CK, Kent BV, Baccarelli AA, Palmer JR. Stress and spirituality in relation to HPA axis gene methylation among US Black women: results from the Black Women's Health Study and the Study on Stress, Spirituality and Health. Epigenomics. 2021 11; 13(21):1711-1734.View Related Profiles. PMID: 34726080; PMCID: PMC8579940; DOI: 10.2217/epi-2021-0275;
Castro-Webb N, Cozier YC, Barbhaiya M, Ruiz-Narváez EA, Li S, Costenbader KH, Rosenberg L. Association of macronutrients and dietary patterns with risk of systemic lupus erythematosus in the Black Women's Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2021 10 04; 114(4):1486-1494. PMID: 34225359; PMCID: PMC8488878; DOI: 10.1093/ajcn/nqab224;
Hahm HC, Xavier Hall CD, Garcia KT, Cavallino A, Ha Y, Cozier YC, Liu C. Experiences of COVID-19-related anti-Asian discrimination and affective reactions in a multiple race sample of U.S. young adults. BMC Public Health. 2021 08 18; 21(1):1563. PMID: 34407792; PMCID: PMC8371291; DOI: 10.1186/s12889-021-11559-1;
Lo CH, Nguyen LH, Drew DA, Warner ET, Joshi AD, Graham MS, Anyane-Yeboa A, Shebl FM, Astley CM, Figueiredo JC, Guo CG, Ma W, Mehta RS, Kwon S, Song M, Davies R, Capdevila J, Sudre CH, Wolf J, Cozier YC, Rosenberg L, Wilkens LR, Haiman CA, Marchand LL, Palmer JR, Spector TD, Ourselin S, Steves CJ, Chan AT. Race, ethnicity, community-level socioeconomic factors, and risk of COVID-19 in the United States and the United Kingdom. EClinicalMedicine. 2021 Aug; 38:101029.View Related Profiles. PMID: 34308322; PMCID: PMC8285255; DOI: 10.1016/j.eclinm.2021.101029;
Cozier YC, Barbhaiya M, Castro-Webb N, Conte C, Tedeschi S, Leatherwood C, Costenbader KH, Rosenberg L. Association of Child Abuse and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Black Women During Adulthood. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2021 06; 73(6):833-840. PMID: 32170851; PMCID: PMC7487019; DOI: 10.1002/acr.24188;
Hyun S, Wong GTF, Levy-Carrick NC, Charmaraman L, Cozier Y, Yip T, Hahm HC, Liu CH. Psychosocial correlates of posttraumatic growth among U.S. young adults during the COVID-19 pandemic. Psychiatry Res. 2021 08; 302:114035. PMID: 34139592
This graph shows the total number of publications by year, by first, middle/unknown,
or last author.
2018 Boston University School of Public Health:
Norman A. Scotch Award for Excellence in Teaching
2016 Graduate Research Symposium, BU:
SPH Dean's Award, Faculty Prize
2015 Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine Research Retreat:
Best Poster Prize
2013 Boston University School of Public Health:
Excellence in Teaching Award - Spring 2013 (EP713 Introduction to Epidemiology)
2013 Boston University School of Public Health:
Excellence in Teaching Award - Fall 2013 (EP713 Introduction to Epidemiology)
2010 Massachusetts Department of Public Health:
Certificate of Appreciation
2009 Society of Epidemiology Research (SER):
Second Place Prize, (Poster Session 1)
2008 Boston University School of Public Heatlh:
Excellence in Teaching Award - Social Epidemiology
2008 University of Kentucky, African American Studies and Research Program:
Exceptional Contributions to Research and Scholarship Award
2007 Society of Epidemiology Research (SER):
Third Place Prize (Poster Session 2)
2007 American Public Health Association (APHA):
Highest Scoring Abstract Prize, Women's Caucus
2004 American College of Epidemiology (ACE):
Best Student Poster
2001 American Public Health Association (APHA) :
Epidemiology Student Travel Award
1994-1995 Albert Schweitzer Foundation:
Albert Schweitzer Urban Fellowship
1994-1996 Department of Defense:
Pre-doctoral Training Award